Friday, December 21, 2007

"Quilts from Heaven"


This is an early Christmas present from a friend at church. She wrote in her note that she thought of me when she saw this book. She is not a quilter but knows that I quilt alot!


The book is is called "Quilts from heaven" and is by Lucinda Secrest McDowell. There is a poem in the beginning of the book that I would like to share.


Pieces of My Quilt

If quilts could talk
I'd like to think I'd hear just what they'd say,
"I'll hold you close within my oflds and wipe your tears away.
I'll keep you warm and give you strength to face another day."
If quilts could talk...


If quilts could sing
I'd like to think I'd recognize each tune,
The lullaby or funeral dirge or wedding march in June.
Both sweet and haunting melodies I'd listen to them croon.
If quilts could sing...


If quilts could write
I'd like to think I'd read the workds they'd pen,
Of life and love and motherhood, of mystery without end.
And, oh, the drama they could share of everywhere they'd been.
If quilts could write....
If quilts could pray,
I'd like to think I'd feel each heartfelt prayer
Of thankfulness or great concern for those within their care:
Petitions to a loving God--the One who's always there.
If quilts could pray....
The quilt of my own life
Finds voice to talk, sing, write, and pray,
As it weaves a hundred stories in its own eclectic way.
And with each stitch of grace and hope my legacy is built:
All fragments finally made a whole...
the pieces of my quilt.
I have not read the book yet but I am looking forward to reading it in my free time. Work has been crazy lately and it will be nice when the holiday's are over and I can relax again.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I hope you are enjoying the book. I work for the publishing company that put this book out. My quilt and my grandmother's quilts are on the covers and on the page inserts (in red). They actually used my grandmother's quilting for the pages. If you look closely on the pages that have little writing, you can see the stitches. Granny is 94 and still quilting. I'm listed in the "thank you's".