Sunday, December 09, 2007

Orphans in the Ukraine



Here are some pictures from a missionary in the Ukraine giving out quilts to the kids at the orphanage. Look how small their beds are! Last year our church Awana club did a clothing drive for clothes for the kids and I had some quilts on hand that I donated for the cause. I did not make all the quilts but did make some of them. The green quilt in two of the pictures was a quilt I made with an elementary school class. They colored in the quilt squares and I sewed them into quilts. I have been doing that for four years now and will also do it again this year. The kids really enjoy helping and I enjoy working with them. It is so much fun to see pictures of the kids enjoying there quilts. I am working on the opportunity to continue supporting these orphanages in the Ukraine. I am learning they have so little over there. There are about 150,000 orphans in the Ukraine and those are the ones actually living in homes and not on the streets. It is quite overwhelming the needs others have in other countries, including our own. I just want to help in any way that I can even though it is small.

I am going back to PT work after the New Year and am excited about that. I will have more time at home to tend to the family needs and so will be able to devote more time to my quilting!

3 comments:

Carol E. said...

I noticed the small beds, too. Some of those kids are getting too tall for the beds! Maybe next year's project should be bigger beds, eh? THanks for sharing these photos. It's always great to see where the quilts ends up.

Jane said...

Hi Janet, What a great thng you ae doing for the children there!! Their little faces say it all. Have a nice holiday...

scraphappy said...

Janet,
Are you going to be doing this project next year? It sounds like something I would be interested in. I've just started a blog myself, and often wonder how many people see what I write. I am enjoying the process though, even if nobody ever sees it!

Angela