Sunday, November 25, 2007

Retirement Quilt


I have been working on a quilt for my brother who is retiring from the military after 26 years. We are headed down to Florida in January for his ceremony. We are turning it into a family vacation and are meeting my sister and her family there. We have not decided where we are going yet but I am sure that Epcot Center and possibly Busch Gardens will be in our plans. My husband likes museums so I am sure we will check out the Kennedy Space Center again. We were down there about 10 years ago and went to Disney World so I know we are not going there again, even though my 9 yr old has not been there.


So this is the quilt so far. I have been figuring it out as I go as I do not have a specific pattern that I am following. Now I am trying to decide what kind of border to add to make it longer. I was thinking about just doing strips of the blue but am also toying with the idea of doing half red and half blue with a diagonal seam. I will have to play with it on my bed to see what it looks like.


Anyone else have any suggestions? I could not get the corners on the first border to be uniform because of the odd numbers of blocks. Frustrating but I am not going to worry about it overly. This will be a lap quilt and so won't be hanging on the wall or anything. I hope he likes it. Oh I forgot to mention that the center of the stars is signed by family members, with messages for my brother on it.
Well off to have some ice cream and relax so that I can wind down and get ready for the week ahead.

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Nice quilt.. I'm sure he'll love it! Have fun in FL.